Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How far can one man go?

A while back I was fortunate enough to finally get round to watching The Brave One starring Jodie Foster, a film about one woman's personal vendetta against the gang who killed her fiancé. It had been on my list for quite some time, but somehow I never got round to it. Considering the amount of films that get produced and how many I DO manage to get through, you can imagine how long the list is. I have however brought a couple of those films home with me for Easter, and if all goes to plan, I'll try and get through as many as possible. The first of these I just finished watching, and that is Death Sentence.

Info: IMDB | Wikipedia

What can I say, I was disappointed. Disappointed that I'd waited so long to watch this! I tend to do this thing where I put off films that seem too complex or involved, opting instead to watch something completely lame like 27 Dresses. You know the type of films, simple, easy-to-follow, predictable. The sort of films you can fall asleep to. The sort of films that put you to sleep.

However, this film is none of those things, except for maybe predictable, but comeon, I havn't seen in a film in ages that has had a truely great and unexpected plot twist, this is Hollywood after all. The film focuses on Nick Hume (Kevin Bacon), whose son is brutally murdered during a gang initiation, and of course decides to return the favour by hunting down and killing all those involved. As the film progresses, Bacon's portayal becomes darker and darker, and you start to get a sense of what it might take to protect your family at all costs. It's only in Hollywood that you root for the guy going round with a shotgun, shooting people's legs off.

All in all this is a pretty gruesome tale of one man's fall from grace, and it really tries to touch on the deep emotions that come with losing everything. All wrapped up in a neat little package of blood and gore, which is nice. There's not really much more to say, and for that I apologise, let's just hope the next film I bother to watch is terrible so I can rant on and on and on about the downfalls of society and how Quorn is the root of all evil. Or words to that effect.

~ Lazy

No comments:

Post a Comment