Tuesday, March 24, 2009

JK!

I've finally had a chance to check out Julien-K after their debut release earlier this month (I just turned 20, give me a break). Hailing from California, Julien-K is made up of former members of bands I've never listened to and have just released Death to Analog, their 14-track debut (although I've heard some are double-disced! Oo fancy!) I've heard a fair amount about them so decided to check them out... Upon listening, the bands that spring to mind in relation to them are the likes of Fischerspooner and The Presets, as they're basically rocky electronica with a hint of trance. If you reach further afield you might drag in Shiny Toy Guns or maybe Neon Neon. Honestly, I think I might have liked them a couple of years ago, but for me this music is clawing at the past a little bit. There's the possibility of potential rather than obvious actual potential here, but hopefully they will develop and enter the now. Of course, there will be some people their music appeals to and here I'm imagining goths coming of the age where they want to actually go and enjoy themselves properly, dancing in equally dark rooms, wearing equally terrible clothes, but with more strobes and less material.
Watch the video to their debut single 'Kick the Bass' below, or click the link underneath that to see the EXPLICIT version! OOH. LA. LA.



Kick the Bass explicit video

-Tubs

P.S. I'd like to point I hadn't actually watched the video before I made my goth comment, and really - how spot-on was I?

No comments:

Post a Comment